Friday, January 21, 2011

shorpy finds - seeing beauty in the mundane

Every so often I make time to scan the "pages" of the amazing historical photo blog Shorpy and I'm always glad I did. These snapshots of everyday, mundane tasks spoke loudest to me this morning. I hope you can see the beauty in them, too. Enjoy and happy weekend.


Lumber camp, Minnesota (circa 1937)

There's something calming about this picture...perhaps it's because when I'm washing dishes late at night it's my time, quiet time. If you look closely, you can see a special lady photo above the kitchen sink (maybe he's thinking of her?). Click on the photo to zoom.


U.S. Food Administration War Kitchen, Washington (circa 1917)

I'd give anything for those farmhouse tables...anything.


A Toilet Room in the Natural Food Conservatory, New York (circa 1906)

How amazing are those sinks? Those faucets? And those floor tiles? Sigh. If I could I would install these fixtures in my 100-year old Seattle home in a heartbeat.


Tenement yard, New York (circa 1900-10)

I may just have to paint this scene, yes, I think I must. What I wouldn't give to witness this firsthand -- the sights, the sounds, the smells -- oh how I wish I could go back in time.

(all images via Shorpy)

No comments:

Post a Comment