Monday, February 21, 2011

tiny rabbits {inspired by artist Cathy Cullis}

our first litter of rabbits (yet to be painted)


UK mixed media artist and poet Cathy Cullis' recent "Tiny Heads" project has inspired my daughters and I to embark on our own year-long ceramics collaboration that we have titled "Tiny Rabbits". Like Cathy, we will use air-dry clay and paints to sculpt pocket-sized figurines, in our case rabbits, to celebrate The Year of the Rabbit. Each session will produce three fluffy little friends.


"2/365" tiny head by Cathy Cullis -- a favorite of mine!


"tiny heads - January" enjoying the winter sun by Cathy Cullis


I instantly fell in love with Cathy's tiny heads -- each unique in appearance and personality and brought to life in a way that only Cathy could. But what I think I love even more is the premise behind her project and something I can relate to as an artist. In Cathy's words:
"I chose a 3-D challenge because this is something I don't feel so confident with.... and I want to indeed challenge myself and to *not worry* if there are good results or not so good results. Choosing a different medium to what I usually create with may just free things up and allow some further experimentation."

Just how many rabbits we'll create by December 31st is unknown (we realistically cannot commit to a daily schedule). But what is known is that my daughters are thrilled with this art project and that makes me insanely happy. Feel free to check back for photo updates.

To see more of Cathy's beautiful art, visit her blog, Etsy shop, or Facebook page...I promise you won't be disappointed.


"to be here" mixed media embroidery art by Cathy Cullis (sold Oct. 2010)


"three portraits" folding artist book watercolour painting by Cathy Cullis (available for sale)

4 comments:

  1. thank you kindly for this mention - I really do like your rabbits and I hope you and your daughters enjoy all the bunny creativity, best wishes
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy - I'm truly honored to have your approval and support. All my best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy blows me away! Such a fan of her work!

    Mandy, this is lovely. I adore those little fellas. I want to begin something like this with Mia. You have inspired me.

    Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Rikkianne -- YOU inspire me! I would love to see yours and Mia's creations. You must know that your support means the world to me. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete