Thursday, October 7, 2010

several irons in the fire

staining hemp/organic cotton with coffee -- a staple in g-grandma Relda's kitchen no doubt

Mom recently asked if I'd been working on my first-in-a-very-long-time series of oil paintings. My reply was "yes" and that I'm "thrilled" with the final presentation that I have planned in the coming months. However, since oil paints take time to cure properly, I'm also working on a number of projects fitting for the holidays, brides and crafters alike. You could say that I have several irons in the fire...and I wouldn't have it any other way.


coffee and wine-stained hemp/organic cotton (ivory, unstained center)


coffee-stained hemp/silk charmeuse (ivory, unstained on right)


wine-stained hemp/silk charmeuse (ivory, unstained on left)

This week I've been experimenting with natural dyes, intentional fraying, and top stitching my stash of eco textiles (hemp/organic cotton, hemp/soy and hemp/silk charmeuse). I've absolutely fallen in love with the resulting colors that coffee and wine stains create and the patterns I'm coming up with...some tidy, others random and abstract. Oh I do hope you like! I've also been working with kapok, buckwheat hulls and 100% organic cotton twill tape. Stay tuned for my Etsy shop's grand opening announcement. In the meantime, I'm headed back to the studio and starting my search for an Etsy Success Holiday Boot Camp Buddy. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. oh, wine! good idea. i have the natural dyes project on my to do list. been there for months. i need to just dive in.

    ReplyDelete