Monday, September 12, 2011

poppytalk handmade Mix Tape + new oil paintings

Good morning!

I'm thrilled to be a participating artist in Poppytalk Handmade's Mix Tape curated marketplace that starts today. Poppytalk co-founders, Jan and Earl, quip, "Mix Tape is a compilation of all things handmade (and vintage). Like a mix tape of your favourite music, this is a mix tape of our favourite handmade goods." I'm honored to be included in this group of talented artists and collectors.

At my table you'll see original paintings and limited edition giclée prints from my DUST BOWL GLIMPSES series....and....NEW oil paintings on handcrafted eco-canvases (see below). They are a bit unconventional in that they are made from salvaged Mexican Chechen hardwood and eco-friendly textiles.

"Spring Snow, Melting" is an original oil painting of the tranquility following a surprise Spring snowstorm on the Colorado prairies. Having once lived there, I could always count on the warmth and light of the sun to restore harmony.

"Spring Snow, Melting" - original oil painting

Following traditional oil painting techniques, I sized, stretched, and gesso(ed) my organic fabric using museum-quality materials. I then used archival adhesive to adhere the fabric to exotic hardwood salvaged from a local furniture maker. I intentionally frayed the edges of the fabric to create a contrasting, unexpected frame for the painting -- I'm really pleased with the outcome. Lastly, I finished the wood with 100% natural tung oil for protection.

Both oil paintings weigh about a pound and can stand upright on any surface for easy displaying on a mantel, book shelf, or table -- I do hope you like -- thanks for looking!

"Midday Wheat" is an original oil painting that reminds me of the spectacular panoramic views of the Colorado wheat fields at midday...when the sun is high and the clouds lazily cross the sky.

"Midday Wheat" -- original oil painting

No comments:

Post a Comment